Helpng to make the dream a reality

Nov 2014 to Oct 2017
- Volunteered to oversee Construction of a New Hospital to replace a 27+ year old facility staffed and operated by Dominicans. I spent 3 years on behalf of the many donors to the REVOLUTION campaign - a 4.5 Million Dollar campaign to fund this project.
August 2017 to September 2018
Work ceased while Tax issues resolved
Oct 2018
Working as project consultant to help get this wonderful project completed.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Moments


Have you ever been working on something you think is just the greatest thing and you hope you aren't delusional or a little overly-optimistic about it?

I have had several encounters with people these last few weeks that have confirmed our efforts here in the DR are worthy and anything but delusional! 

Here are a few examples: 

1) Trying to acquire/rent/purchase a wrench to repair a bulldozer from a tractor repair place...
   Hi, I need a 1-3/16" wrench, do you have one I could buy?
     - first reaction: "Sorry, looked everywhere, don't have that size to sell".
  Could I borrow or rent from you?
     - No, the workers will need the tools for their jobs ...
  Hmmm, I am working out at the new Clinica Cristiana  and ..
      - second reaction: "La Clinica?! Yes, let me have my workers find one for you to use, no charge!" Confirmation

2) At the end of the day I had parked next to the large canal beside the jobsite. A farmer was at the canal washing up to end his day, saw me and came over speaking spanish and smiling. What I could make out with my limited spanish but very clearly with his expressions was his excitement that the Clinic is being built. It was a neat encounter from a very random fellow. Confirmation

3) We got the new sign set along the road, were working on getting some concrete in the holes to hold the legs when a motorcyclist stopped on the highway beside us. He looked up, looked at us, gave a positive fist pump and said how happy he was with the project - and ended saying God be with you. Confirmation.

4,5,6...) I could go on. From the hardware store, workers at the jobsite, the police at the road stop and many other times and places there is an appreciation in this community and region for what this small clinic has done the past 25 years. Imagine what lays ahead.

We are building a building. 
It is just a building. 
But within this building people will devote themselves to serving others, and help make those people's lives better. 
Pretty neat, and abundantly confirmed.


No comments:

Post a Comment