Helpng to make the dream a reality

Nov 2014 to Oct 2017
- Volunteered to oversee Construction of a New Hospital to replace a 27+ year old facility staffed and operated by Dominicans. I spent 3 years on behalf of the many donors to the REVOLUTION campaign - a 4.5 Million Dollar campaign to fund this project.
August 2017 to September 2018
Work ceased while Tax issues resolved
Oct 2018
Working as project consultant to help get this wonderful project completed.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

11/25/14  Inspection Boxes, Mega-Meeting, Long Waits in the Bank, Internet installation



Construction:
Workers are finishing up the inspection boxes that are every 50 meters along the drainage pipe. Once concrete lids are formed and poured, the North and West Sides will be complete. I hope the backhoe begins work digging the ditch for the East and South Sides, although a surveyor (topographer) is needed to establish proper depths - hopefully he is here tomorrow.
    Frank and I met with Eduard - our Dominican Engineer (General Contractor) yesterday afternoon and night - started at 3pm, finished at 8:40! I have to say, the Dominicans may be late, not show up, etc, but when they do, they are committed! We discussed many aspects of the upcoming project, a very good meeting. (I even served Dominican coffee early on and then we ate dinner at 6:30). I'm not sure many of my American friends would endure such a meeting, I was impressed.

Culture:
Had an interesting time shopping for Christmas Lights - at a sort-of family dollar type store. i did buy some, and an ornament for someone back home.  Of course, while in the store my dirty truck received a carwash - so I had to pay  a guy for that. Not a bad deal really - getting multiple things done!
    Getting a check cashed here is quite an ordeal. It took an hour - which apparently is good. Dan has had to wait 6 hours! Among all the other steps, they call the person who wrote the check, if they don't answer, no luck until they do. Walking out with Dan who has the equivalent of $10,000 US cash with him is a little unnerving - where is my pistol! 



How about this for hacksaw (made from a piece of rebar)  

More Culture:
So one of the translators went with me two Fridays ago and applied for Internet at the home I am renting - in his name of course due to me being a foreigner. We were told they would determine if it can be installed and get back to us - in 1 to 8 days! They actually did get back a week ago Tuesday, and said someone will call after 1pm to do the installation work. Well, I guess they aren't lying, it still is after 1pm a week ago, but still no internet. Neff (translator) did receive a call Monday from the installer saying that he was in the area and would call later in the day to install it .... still nothing - of course. So I am going to start selling "posible' manana" signs like the "hang in there" signs we have ... oh well.

Life:
Hey, so not only did I shop a little, I got a key copied (so I will have two - one for the Straley's when they drive to the airport while I'm gone). Super nice - go to one store, he offers to have a young guy ride with me and take me to the key store (he then walked back while the key was made). The guy at the key store was very helpful as well - these newer car keys have to be programmed to the car - even a 2003 Montero!

Sunday Church:
An energentic experience - It was fun to visit, even had someone say hello, knew my name and purpose here! Picking up a little spanish in the service is nice.
     Nicole and Monchy then took the team that is here to the town center, where Christmas is in bloom!





2 comments:

  1. I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.auto inspection

    ReplyDelete