Helpng to make the dream a reality

Nov 2014 to Oct 2017
- Volunteered to oversee Construction of a New Hospital to replace a 27+ year old facility staffed and operated by Dominicans. I spent 3 years on behalf of the many donors to the REVOLUTION campaign - a 4.5 Million Dollar campaign to fund this project.
August 2017 to September 2018
Work ceased while Tax issues resolved
Oct 2018
Working as project consultant to help get this wonderful project completed.

Monday, November 17, 2014

11/17/14  We have a backhoe on the Property!


The CAT dealer delivered a backhoe and generator to us this morning from Santo Domingo - this is something they are doing at no charge. They asked not to publicize their generosity, but I think it is safe to do so in a blog! The are super supportive of our project and every time I have talked with my contact he expresses their excitement to be helping us by donating their equipment. 
   When we met at the CAT dealer in July in Santo Domingo, I found myself in this moment of awareness - realizing here I am - me, a guy from Virginia, sitting in a conference room with 5 Dominicans and fellow Solid Rock representatives, at the Caterpillar Dealer in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, discussing the possibility of them helping us with the clinic project      - who would have thought this is where I would be, how did I get here, this is just amazing! 
   I have found myself in these "aware" moments often these past few years as my life has taken this awesome twist. I am excited for more to come!

Back to the day in summary -
* Alot of excitement today as the small surgical team that is here got rolling seeing patients and the ground-breaking group spent the day visiting the CCED school, toured the clinic and went to El Circado. 

* Visiting with these long-term Solid Rock people is so neat, I will post another day about a discussion with Dr Dillard - a fascinating man.

* The workers stepped up production today due to having the CAT generator, it allowed more drills to be operating at one time. I will see in the morning exactly what they got done.

* We had a good meeting with a lawyer here who will be helping write the contract with the engineer - our last hurdle. Interesting to see how a legal document brings out the differences in our cultures. We are a very "detailed" society compared to the Dominicans! This is understandable in our society, but maybe not the best either. I think with the help of my friend Frank (a Dominican), we will get things worked out to everyone's satisfaction. Frank is a great co-worker on this project, I don't know how we would pull this off without him. He is Dominican but has lived the past 5+ years or so in Pennsylvania and is now a US Citizen, so he understands both cultures and is very good at melding them together. This melding is, what I have recently decided, probably the biggest challenge as I try and fold the two cultures together and communicate the progress of this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment