Helpng to make the dream a reality

Nov 2014 to Oct 2017
- Volunteered to oversee Construction of a New Hospital to replace a 27+ year old facility staffed and operated by Dominicans. I spent 3 years on behalf of the many donors to the REVOLUTION campaign - a 4.5 Million Dollar campaign to fund this project.
August 2017 to September 2018
Work ceased while Tax issues resolved
Oct 2018
Working as project consultant to help get this wonderful project completed.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Running down Goats

Yep, you read that title correctly.
What started off as another day with fill & compaction taking place and anticipating a rather typical day took a turn.
Ezikias (formerly referred to as Zachius, - I am narrowing in on the proper spelling and pronunciation of his name ...) as of two days ago became the proud owner of two young goats/lambs. He has had them tied up at the clinic site...
During lunch we talked, the best I can understand he has big plans for these goats, a way to make some additional income...
As I was sitting watching the day's work unfold in the afternoon, in the distance there appeared on our topsoil piles Ezikias' two goats - making their way quickly away from where they should have been. 
And we were off! Ezikias was not around, soon the goats were being pursued by three of the laborers - heading toward the back corner of the property, so I joined in, heading further south to cut the goats off. Sprinting across one field after another, crossing barbwire fences, down dirt roads, cornering but then pursuing, trying to flank them time after time (thinking of Tim's Marine tactics at this point), we ended up along the river - and so we continued along the river until finally the goats came to a creek coming into the bigger river. 
As we are running these animals down, I am replaying how proud Ezikias was of his new goats... and at the same time the Benny Hill theme music is playing somewhere in my head.
Finally, they were stopped in a corner, I was on the left, one of the guys worked his way around to the right, two more guys showed up to fill the area in between us (we are in the corner of a bean field at this point), I slowly approached them hoping to scoot them toward the other guys, they suddenly shot between us, I leaped and caught the bigger one's 6' rope and another guy grabbed the smaller one. Captured and returned! 

Well, I don't need to go for a run this afternoon - crossing fields and pursuing in my work boots was a good workout - and further than I usually run! If you ever want to run without focusing on your aches and pains - try running down some goats, there is a lot of strategy involved that keeps your mind off of your own aches and pains!

I can now check off 
running down goats 
on my list of 
Things I hope to do while in the DR

These guys were great offering to carry theses pesky critters back!
Yes, the proud owner met us on the way back - they are  tying the legs of the lamb on the ground so the guy on the moto can carry them both

A happy goat owner.












No comments:

Post a Comment